This tangy, spicy, smokey, homemade barbecue sauce may lack sugar but definitely packs a punch in the flavor department!
There are many homemade barbecue sauce recipes out there. My favorite is a recipe I developed a few year back which consists of all real food ingredients and of which I dubbed The Best Homemade Barbecue Sauce. And it is dubbed such because, well, it is the best! It is lip smacking good. My hubby loves it so much that he has literally sat there with a spoon and ate it plain that way!
Well, since I began doing Trim Healthy Mama, that oh so yummy barbecue sauce had to be removed from the menu because the honey therein is not conducive to weight loss. Major bummer!
Then I discovered Nature’s Hollow Sugar Free Honey. This is a honey flavored syrup sweetened with xylitol and thickened with xanthan gum. Swap that out for the real honey and bam! Now I have The Best SUGAR FREE Barbecue Sauce recipe!
According to the numbers, this barbecue sauce is low carb and low fat, meaning it can be enjoyed on low carb and low fat diets as well as a Neutraltastic (or THM Fuel Pull) condiment in a low glycemic diet!
- 1 cup sugar free or low sugar ketchup (I prefer my homemade version)
- ¾ cup Nature's Hollow Sugar Free Honey
- ¾ cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured blackstrap molasses
- the juice from ½ lime (about 1 ½ tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Whisk together all of the ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a soft-rolling boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to a simmer. Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Sauce will thicken a bit as it cools. Once cooled, pour into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.