Enjoy this spicy, tangy cocktail sauce with shrimp, as a meatball sauce, atop meatloaf, and more.
I have a recipe that I am going to share soon that includes cocktail sauce, but rather than include the cocktail sauce recipe as part of that, I decided it really needed it’s post. After all, cocktail sauce is handy for more than just the one recipe I am soon sharing!
The reason I decided to create a cocktail sauce recipe rather than just using jarred comes down to sugar content. The vast majority of cocktail sauce jars I’ve found in grocery stores, on Amazon, or elsewhere online have a bunch of sugar and/or corn syrup in them. This makes them not so Trim Healthy Mama friendly.
Fun fact. A blog post is supposed to have six hundred words in it for search engines to be happy. How does one come up with six hundred words about a simple cocktail sauce recipe? I have no idea. So please bare with me as I attempt (but possibly fail at) this. There is a Jump to Recipe button just so you know.
Ideas for Using Cocktail Sauce
Below are just a few ways to use this cocktail sauce after you have successfully gathered its ingredients and mixed them together.
- shrimp cocktail — Shrimp cocktail is a dish where cooked shrimp (usually cold) is served with cocktail sauce (also usually cold). Dip the shrimp and eat it up. My kids especially love this.
- meatloaf — You know how most meatloaf recipes call for ketchup or something on top? Well, instead of that, you can use cocktail sauce. It’s yummy! By the way, be sure to check out my meatloaf recipe (it doesn’t have cocktail sauce on top, but speaking of meatloaf reminded me of it).
- meatball sauce — Make some yummy on plan meatballs and toss them with cocktail sauce instead of any other sauce.
- little smokes — Use it as a sauce for little smokies.
- kielbasa — Dip sliced up kielbasa sausage in it for a tasty snack or side dish.
- French fries — Air fry some sweet potato fries then use the cocktail sauce as a dip for them instead of ketchup.
- burgers — Use it as a condiment on burgers.
- salmon cakes, crab cakes, fish cakes — Use it as a condiment for any seafood patties like these.
Easy Homemade Cocktail Sauce
- 1 cup
sugar free ketchup (such as this or homemade)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons plain, sugar free horseradish sauce (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon mineral salt
- 1 tablespoon
Gentle Sweet or equivalent sweetener(omit for Whole30)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon
Frank's Original Red Hot Sauce or homemade hot pepper sauce,optional
- Mix together all of the ingredients and serve.