This tangy, spicy, smoky, homemade barbecue sauce may lack sugar but definitely packs a punch in the flavor department!
There are many homemade barbecue sauce recipes out there. My favorite is a recipe I developed a few year back which consists of all real food ingredients and of which I dubbed The Best Homemade Barbecue Sauce. And it is dubbed such because, well, it is the best! It is lip smacking good. My hubby loves it so much that he has literally sat there with a spoon and ate it plain that way!
Well, since I began doing Trim Healthy Mama, that oh so yummy barbecue sauce had to be removed from the menu because the honey therein is not conducive to weight loss. Major bummer!
Not to be deterred, I tried adding some THM Gentle Sweet and water in place of the honey. Much to my pleasure, it turned out AMAZING! Enter: the BEST sugar free barbecue sauce!
According to the numbers, this barbecue sauce is low carb and low fat, meaning it can be enjoyed on low carb and low fat diets as well as a Neutralific (or THM Fuel Pull) condiment in a low glycemic diet!
Ch-ch-changes: The previous edition of this recipe included creating a batch of my honey substitute. However, that is a bit more work so I have since altered the recipe to make its creation MUCH simpler, but without altering its yummy flavor.
Another change: Thanks a million to commenter BobbyJ for pointing out that some liquid smoke is yummy add! I have since added that as an optional ingredient to the recipe.
The Best Sugar Free Barbecue Sauce
- 1 cup sugar free or low sugar ketchup (such as our Homemade Sugar Free Ketchup)
- ¾ cup raw apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½ tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon THM Gentle Sweet OR equivalent sweetener
- 1 tablespoon unsulphured blackstrap molasses, optional (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons mineral salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon adobo sauce, optional
- ½ teaspoon (more or less to taste) liquid smoke, optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Whisk together all of the ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a soft-rolling boil over medium-high heat. Reduce to a simmer. Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Sauce will thicken a bit as it cools. Once cooled, pour into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.