This low carb, low fat, sugar free ketchup (or catsup or however you spell it) recipe contains all of the salty, tangy flavor of traditional ketchup without the added sugar, corn syrup, or unhealthy salt.
Ketchup is a beloved staple condiment in the Unites States and beyond. It’s not only delicious for dipping stuff, but it’s also excellent on things like burgers or hot dogs and is often used as an ingredient in other recipes (such as barbecue sauce).
The big bad negative surrounding this favored condiment, however, are its ingredients. Store bought and even many homemade versions are typically chock full of either corn syrup or sugar (sometimes even both). This is no good when you’re trying to eat a low glycemic diet (whether that be Trim Healthy Mama or Atkin’s or whatever).
There are fortunately a handful of low or no sugar ketchup products available (such as Nature’s Hollow’s xylitol sweetened ketchup), but those are often expensive, especially for such small quantities, and sometimes hard to come by.
I personally have done Trim Healthy Mama since 2012. Back then, the options were even slimmer than they are now. So I had to improvise with something homemade. That led to the original creation of this homemade sugar free ketchup recipe (which has since been tweaked closer to perfection).
- 1 can (about 28 ounces) pureed tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon THM Super Sweet Blend or equivalent sweetener
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 whole bay leaf
- Mix together all of the ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a slow rolling boil. Turn the heat down to medium-low and allow to simmer, stirring often, for about 3 hours.
- Once complete, remove and discard the bay leaf. If resulting ketchup is too "lumpy" for your taste, press it through a fine mesh sieve to remove the lumps.
- Store ketchup in an airtight container in the fridge.