Soft black beans, sweet corn, savory spices, and a pop of lemon juice team up in this quick, easy-to-make black bean soup recipe.
The reason I created this is threefold: one, because I really like black beans; two, because I needed more Carbalicious (Trim Healthy Mama E) fuel dishes that my whole family likes; and three, because I wanted another quick, easy soup recipe available.
The resulting dish is spot on for my family friendly and quick, easy soup goals. It’s yummy enough that my family (including all three of my little kiddos) love it (my 6-year-old son even goes back for seconds and thirds when I make this dish). And it really is a cinch to make (zero special ingredients!), making it perfect for super busy days.
This black bean soup is tasty all alone, but goes especially well with a Carbalicious (THM E) bread for a side. It’s also excellent with toppings (ideas included in the recipe below).
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey (or ground beef, fat rinsed off using hot water)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cans (about 15 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed, divided
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup salsa
- 1½ cups frozen corn kernels
- juice from ½ lime
- Put the ground meat and onion together in a large saucepan. Cook until meat is browned and onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes or until garlic is golden.
- Remove meat mixture from pan and set aside.
- Add 3 cans' worth of beans, the broth, chili powder, cumin, and salt to the pan. Using an immersion blender, blend until beans are smooth (alternatively, you can use a blender; pureeing may need to be done in batches if using a blender).
- Add the remaining beans, salsa, corn, lime juice, and meat mixture back into the soup.
- Bring to a slow rolling boil; turn heat down to medium low, cover, and allow to simmer, stirring often, for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Serve with desired choice of toppings (see notes for a few ideas).
Mixtacular (THM XO) Topping Ideas: cheese, full fat sour cream,