Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 3 bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise, ribs and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons butter or bacon fat, divided
- 1 medium to large yellow onion, julienned
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 pounds roast beef sandwich meat (such as Applegate's), cut into strips or 4 boxes (9 ounces each) beef Steak-umms
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon mineral salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- ¾ cup mozzarella, provolone, or pepper jack cheese, shredded, divided
Preheat the oven to 400° F.
Grease a 9- by 13-inch dish. Place the pepper halves in the dish and pre-bake for about 10 to 15 minutes to start softening the peppers.
Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add the onions and mushrooms and sauté, stirring often, until the onions are translucent.
Add the remaining butter, roast beef, garlic, salt, cayenne pepper, and red pepper flakes to the skillet. Sauté an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until onions are caramelized and meat is heated through.
Pull the peppers from the oven. Add about 1 tablespoon of cheese to the bottom of each pepper half.
Stuff the peppers with the meat mixture. Top with remaining cheese.
Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and beginning to lightly brown.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 302kcal | Carbs: 6g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 13g | Fiber: 1g