Fluffy marshmallow flavored whipped cream, rich chocolate sauce, a creamy chocolate-coffee blend, and a graham crumble topping combine to create this sugar free, low carb S’mores Mocha Shake!
With Starbucks’ S’mores Frappuccino® all the rage once again now that summer is approaching, I have had not one but several of my followers and coaching clients request a Trim Healthy Mama and keto friendly version. So here is that yummy low carb, sugar free shake!
One of the key ingredients in this shake is the marshmallow flavoring. It’s what takes the whipped cream from ordinary to marshmallow flavored. You can buy this marshmallow flavoring on Amazon, but it’s cheaper if you buy it directly from Olive Nation.
One important thing to note about the marshmallow flavoring is that just the right amount tastes like there are marshmallows present in this yummy shake. But, too much and it can taste bitter or even have a kind of alcohol-y taste. So be careful not to go overboard with it! I also cannot vouch for how any other marshmallow flavoring besides Olive Nation’s might taste in it as the Olive Nation one is the only I’ve used.
If you prefer, you can mix the marshmallow flavoring in while making the chocolate-mocha portion of the shake. This will still infuse the flavor of marshmallows without having to mix it in the whipped cream.
All the S’mores Elements
Just like its sugar laden inspiration, this low carb s’mores mocha shake embraces all the elements of s’mores–marshmallows, chocolate, and graham crackers! Then coffee is added to the mix to make it even better.
One optional thing you can do with this shake is top it off with none other than a perfect, fluffy, sweet marshmallow! The Trim Healthy Mama cookbook has a recipe for sugar free marshmallows in it or you can my own homemade sugar free marshmallows. When I use a homemade marshmallow for this recipe, I also like to toast it a bit using a torch (I use my husband’s shop torch, but a simple creme brulee torch will work equally as well).
Feel free to switch things up with this shake. Experiment with caramel flavoring, caramel sauce, hazelnut extract, peanut butter flavoring, and more! Whatever sounds good. You can also omit the coffee extract or the coffee ice cubes to make just a s’mores shake which is typically tastier for the kids!
Low Carb S’mores Mocha Shake
For Graham Crumble
For Mocha Shake
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or cashew milk
- ½ cup 1% cottage cheese
- ¼ cup (1 scoop) regular THM Pristine Whey Protein Powder
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons Gentle Sweet or equivalent sweetener (more or less to taste)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 pinch mineral salt
- 1 cup plain ice cubes plus 1 teaspoon coffee extract OR 1 cup coffee ice cubes
For Graham Crumble
- Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the almond flour and salt then toast until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the 1/4 teaspoon Gentle Sweet and the cinnamon. Set aside to cool completely.
For the Marshmallow Cream
- Stir the prepared whipped cream and the marshmallow flavoring together; set aside.
For Mocha Shake
- Add the milk, cottage cheese, protein powder, cocoa powder, sweetener, vanilla, and salt to the jar of a blender. Mix until blended.
- Add the plain ice cubes and the coffee extract OR the coffee ice cubes (to make these, just freeze plain brewed coffee in ice cube trays). Blend with your blender’s smoothie setting until the ice is thoroughly pulverized. If mixture isn’t thick enough for your taste, add more ice cubes a few at a time till it is thick enough.
- Dollop half of the marshmallow whipped cream into the bottom of a large glass.
- Drizzle half of the chocolate sauce along the inner sides of the glass.
- Sprinkle in half of the cooled graham crumble.
- Add all of the mocha shake.
- Top with the remaining whipped cream, drizzle with the rest of the chocolate sauce, and sprinkle with the rest of the graham crumble.
- For the final (optional) touch, top with a homemade sugar free marshmallow (toasted with a creme brulee torch if you like).