Smooth, sweet, chocolate flavor accompanied by a pleasant, subtle, red hue summarizes the attributes of this soothing red velvet hot cocoa mix.
The primary inspiration behind this hot cocoa mix is, of course, red velvet cake. Its secondary inspiration is the fact that Valentine’s Day is coming up, so why not enjoy a warm, smooth, chocolatey, and reddish beverage?
If you’re unfamiliar with red velvet cake, it is basically just a chocolate cake with a bunch of red food coloring. This hot cocoa mix follows suit…it is a delicious hot cocoa mix with red food coloring.
To keep this natural and healthy, I chose beet powder to create the red color. It looks beautiful and it adds a unique and sweet flavor dimension. Some might even say the hot cocoa has a slight beet flavor. If beets aren’t your thing, you can simply omit the beet powder or sub it for powdered red food coloring.
Another ingredient that is unique to this red velvet hot cocoa powder is heavy cream powder. This provides a decadent, smooth, yummy cream base so that you can toss the mix into hot water and instantly have hot cocoa. However, to make it richer, yummier, and possibly fattier, you can add it to warm cream and/or almond milk.
P.S. Like the mug in my pictures? You can buy the design to order your own mug or tee shirt in my shop here!
Red Velvet Hot Cocoa Mix
- 1 ½ cup powdered erythritol (how to make powdered sweetener)
- 1 cup heavy cream powder
- ½ cup cocoa powder (I recommend Ghiradelli)
- 6 tablespoons beet powder or powdered red food coloring
- 2 tablespoons vanilla powder
- 1 teaspoon mineral salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum, optional
- 1 pinch ground cayenne pepper, optional
- Sift all ingredients together and carefully mix.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- To use, add ¼ cup mix to 1 cup hot water or cream/almond milk.
- If you're doing the Trim Healthy Mama diet, please keep in mind that one serving of this contains 5 grams of fat, which is the full amount allotted in an E meal.
- To make this more protein rich, add 1 tablespoon collagen to your cup of hot water (or a scant 1 cup worth of collagen to the entire recipe).