Delicious red potatoes and lean turkey bacon team together to create this amazing, tasty hash brown potatoes recipe.
Potatoes used to be off plan completely for Trim Healthy Mama, but Pearl and Serene changed their mind on them and have now dubbed them okay for occasional meals in an E setting! That’s great news for those like me who love potatoes.
The urging factor behind the creation of this recipe is my doing a Whole30 round. Potatoes are allowed on Whole30 and now also on THM (I stick to THM when on a Whole30 round) and I really needed E fuel breakfast ideas beyond egg whites with fruit or sweet potatoes. So I created this recipe just for that purpose.
About the Bacon
In this recipe, I call for turkey bacon. When selecting turkey bacon for this recipe, you want to aim for lean turkey that has very little to no added sugar. If you’re doing a Whole30 round, you’ll want to make sure it has zero sugar and you also want to make sure the bacon is uncured. I have found that the Applegate brand of turkey bacon usually fits this bill, but always read the ingredients and the nutrition facts to make sure.
Red Hash Brown Potatoes with Bacon
- 6 small to medium sized red potatoes, cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter or ghee
- 6 slices lean turkey bacon, cut into small pieces (using scissors makes this easier)
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon mineral salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place the potato chunks in a pot of lightly salted water. Bring to a boil. Turn the heat to medium-low and let simmer until about halfway cooked, about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain; set aside.
- Melt the butter or ghee in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the potatoes and all the remaining ingredients; stir to coat with butter.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is cooked through and the potatoes and onions are lightly browned, but not burned.