Soft noodles, gooey cheese, rich sauce, a crumbly topping–these words simply burst forth with “comfort food!” And they’re all characteristics of the universally known and loved stuff known as macaroni and cheese.
Traditional macaroni and cheese is made with carby but so, so delicious noodles. This recipe, however, is made using Dreamfields macaroni pasta. Dreamfields is coated with special stuff that prevents the body from absorbing the majority of the carbs, making it lean and easy on blood sugar (so long as it is cooked properly). However, Dreamfields pasta tastes just like regular pasta, so you (and your family) won’t notice anything different! If you’re doing Trim Healthy Mama, be sure to cook the pasta per the directions and only enjoy a serving of this probably once a week.
What makes this macaroni and cheese recipe unique from a basic macaroni and cheese one are a couple of different ingredients. Specifically, cottage cheese, sour cream, and egg yolk. These three ingredients add a richness to the flavor and a dreamy, creamy overall consistency.
Easy Creamy Mac and Cheese
- 1 package (13.2 ounces) Dreamfields macaroni pasta (or riced cauliflower, zucchini noodles, konjac noodles, or spaghetti squash)
- 1 cup 1% small curd cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream (I like regular Daisy brand)
- ¾ cup almond milk or cashew milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, optional
- 1 teaspoon mineral salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups (16 ounces) cheddar cheese, shredded
- ⅓ cup THM Baking Blend
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit. Prepare a 9- by 13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish by spraying it with coconut oil cooking spray; set aside.
- Prepare the macaroni noodles according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, mix the cottage cheese, sour cream, milk, egg yolk, mustard powder, paprika, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder together in a large bowl. If a smoother consistency is desired, first blend these ingredients together in a blender.
- Drain and add the cooked macaroni to the bowl of creamy mixture. Add the cheese and mix everything together.
- Pour the mac and cheese into the prepared baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix the Baking Blend and butter together with a fork until all the blend is saturated with butter. Sprinkle over the top of the mac and cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes or until heated through, bubbly, and the crumble topping is lightly browned.
- Garnish with fresh or dried parsley (optional).