Salty, sweet, bitter, and a bit of spicy blend together to create this thick, spreadable, and savory bacon jam.
Since Father’s Day is coming up, I wanted to offer you guys something that is easy to make (adding that homemade touch) to give your dads or hubby for this father honoring national holiday. And what’s better than bacon???
The inspiration for this recipe came from a burger I enjoyed once at a restaurant. It featured a big, juicy burger slathered with bacon jam. It was SO good! My mouth begged for more after it was gone and my taste buds still reminisce about the flavor that bacon jam added to that burger.
I full well know that the burger I enjoyed at that restaurant had bacon jam that was LOADED with sugar and possibly some other not so Trim Healthy Mama friendly ingredients. Which is why I decided to recreate it using on plan ingredients.
The main thing I enjoy this bacon jam on is a burger. I assemble my burger with a low carb bun (sometimes homemade, sometimes store bought–such as a Smart Bun). Then comes the burger hot off the grill. After that is some melty, gooey sliced cheese (my favorite especially with this jam is gouda). Last but not least is a tablespoon or so of bacon jam. Seriously, guys, it’s REALLY yummy!
Beyond the burger, you could use this jam in an on plan sandwich or wrap, on a charcuterie board with on plan things like cheese or THM’s crackers, slathered atop a toasted piece of Wonderful White Blender Bread, or spread over some roasted veggies like asparagus or Brussels sprouts.
- 1 pound bacon
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- ¼ cup
Lakanto Classic or equivalent sweetener
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup strong brewed black coffee
- 3 tablespoons
ChocZero maple syrup (personal choice on THM), Wholesome Yum keto maple syrup, OR homemade maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons raw apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons unsulphured blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum, optional
- Cut the bacon into ½-inch chunks (kitchen sheers or scissors make this easier). Cook in a small to medium saucepan over medium heat until thoroughly cooked but not completely crispy.
- Remove the bacon from the pan and set it aside atop some paper towels to drain. Discard (or save for later) all the bacon fat except about a tablespoon worth.
- Add the onion, shallot, and sweetener. Sauté over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until the onions are golden brown and caramelized.
- Add the garlic and sauté another 2 minutes or until the garlic is lightly toasted.
- Return the bacon to the pan. Add the remaining ingredients except the xanthan gum and stir together.
- Allow to simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has reduced by half (about 30 minutes, give or take).
- Remove from the heat. If the jam isn't as thick as you'd like it to be, dust the xanthan gum over the top then stir it in.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Heat before using.