The sweet licorice-like flavor of elderberries blends with a variety of powerful spices to create a tasty, immune boosting and sugar free elderberry syrup.
With the fall and winter seasons come a lot of sniffles and weakened immune systems. That’s why elderberry syrup is so popular this time of year. Beyond its ability to lower blood sugar and make you feel better, it does a lot to boost immunity.
So do the other ingredients in elderberry syrup. Each item is packed full of immune boosting qualities to strengthen the effectiveness of the elderberry syrup. And since this particular recipe is sugar free (and honey free), it’s great for use on the Trim Healthy Mama plan!
Sugar Free Elderberry Syrup
- 5 cups filtered water
- 1 cup dried elderberries or ½ cup fresh elderberries
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons orange peel powder
- 1 teaspoon ground sweet or ceylon (Cinnamomum verum) cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ceyenne pepper, optional
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons Gentle Sweet (more or less to taste)
- Pour the water into a non-reacted (glass or stainless steel) saucepan. Add the elderberries, ginger, orange peel powder, cinnamon, ceyenne, and cloves. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Strain the elderberries through a fine mesh sieve. After straining, squish the elderberries against the strainer to force out as much juice as possible. Discard, compost, or otherwise use up the elderberry pulp.
- Add the Gentle Sweet to taste.
- Allow to cool completely. Pour into a sterilized jar with an airtight lid. Store in the fridge for up to 4 months.
- For Adults Ages 12 and Up: Take 1 tablespoon daily. When symptoms arise, take 1 tablespoon 3 or 4 times a day (about every 4 hours).
- For Children Ages 5 to 12: Take 2 teaspoons daily. When symptoms arise, take 2 teaspoons 3 or 4 times a day (about every 4 hours).
- For Children Ages 1 to 5: Take 1 teaspoon daily. When symptoms arise, take 1 teaspoon 3 or 4 times a day (about every 4 hours).