Chocolatey cocoa powder teams up with hazelnut’s flavor and crunch in this tender, moist, single-serve Chocolate Hazelnut Muffin in a Mug recipe that’s reminiscent of Nutella cake!
I LOVE my Chocolate Hazelnut Shake. It’s flavorful, refreshing, and satisfies my Nutella-craving sweet tooth without compromising my Trim Healthy Mama lifestyle. So I decided to create this Chocolate Hazelnut Muffin in a Mug to further satisfy my Nutella cravings! The resulting muffin in a mug is chocolately, hazelnutty, moist, and so soft.
Personally, I don’t like my muffin in a mug plain (oddly enough, my kids do). So I have to add extra goodies such as my Sugar Free No Cook Swiss Meringue Buttercream (as pictured) or some Homemade Whipped Cream. It’s also yummy with some Powdered Sweetener sprinkled on, some chopped hazelnuts, and a strawberry or two.
One thing to note about this recipe is that you gotta use high quality, relatively fresh hazelnut extract or it can taste bitter to some. I usually use the Watkins brand hazelnut extract, but homemade hazelnut extract works great too!
Chocolate Hazelnut Muffin in a Mug
- 2 tablespoons THM Baking Blend or TJ's Basic Baking Mix
- 2 tablespoons THM Gentle Sweet
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch mineral salt
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 teaspoons heavy cream
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hazelnut extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon unsalted butter, very soft or melted
- chopped hazelnuts, optional
- In a mug, with a fork, mix together all of the dry ingredients (baking blend, sweetener, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt).
- Add the wet ingredients (sour cream, heavy cream, egg yolk, extracts, and butter) and mix with the fork until thoroughly incorporated. Also mix in a teaspoon or so of chopped hazelnuts if you want.
- Pop in the microwave and nuke on high for 1 and 1/2 minutes. Or, bake in the oven at 350° F for 10 or more minutes till done (be sure to use an oven safe mug or a small dish that is oven safe).