In this cheesy sausage pasta skillet recipe, smoky sausage links compliment tender pasta while sun dried tomatoes add a chewy, slightly sweet element. Chicken broth and cream team up to create a smooth, creamy sauce. Red pepper flakes kick up the heat while spices and dill boost the flavor. And cheddar cheese adds a gooey, cheesy, extra yummy factor.
Once this dish is complete, you can pop the skillet (pending it’s oven safe, handle and all) into the oven and broil it to get the cheese crispy and lightly browned on top (takes about 8 minutes). If you’d like this extra effect, but don’t have an oven safe skillet, then transfer the completed product into a casserole dish then pop it in underneath the broiler.
Note About Dreamfield’s Pasta
Dreamfield’s tastes just like regular store-bought pasta, but it has a special coating that causes you to not digest the majority of the carbs. For this reason, you’ll notice in the nutrition facts that the carbs look super high and, if you’re doing Trim Healthy Mama or keto, that makes this dish way off plan. But, because of this coating, each serving yields a mere 5 carbs instead of the hefty amount indicated.
If for any reason (including that you just don’t believe Dreamfield’s works) you would rather not have Dreamfield’s pasta, then you can easily sub it for spaghetti squash, zoodles (noodley zucchini), shirataki noodles, or whatever you like. Please keep in mind that you will probably need to decrease the liquid (stock or broth) when using these noodle substitutes and you may even need to cook them in a separate pan.
Cheesy Sausage Pasta Skillet
- 2 pounds link sausage, cut into coins (I like Applegate's Organic Andouille sausage)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped (if canned in oil, press off most of the oil with a towel)
- 4 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 box (13.25 ounces) Dreamfields penne rigate pasta
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the sausage coins and onion. Sauté until the onion is tender and the sausage has browned a bit. The fat from the sausage should be enough to keep things from sticking to the pan, but if you have sticking, add a couple teaspoons of butter or cooking coconut oil.
- Add the sun dried tomatoes. Sauté another minute so the tomatoes soften. Put this mixture in a large, heat-safe bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oven to 450° F.
- Pour the chicken broth into the skillet. Bring to a slow-rolling boil then add the pasta.
- Once the pasta has reached the al dente stage (it should absorb all the liquid so no draining necessary), turn the heat down to low and stir in the cream.
- Pour the pasta into the bowl with the sausage. Mix in the garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, black pepper, dill weed, and cheese until thoroughly blended.
- Return the casserole to the skillet if it is oven safe or pour it into a greased oven-safe casserole dish.
- Bake for 8 to 15 minutes or until the top barely begins to crisp and the cheese is bubbly.
Nutrition facts are approximate and may vary based on several factors. Please read my Nutrition Disclaimer.