The sweetness and antioxidant power of super fruit wolfberries (also known as goji berries) marry with the earthy flavor and chewiness of oats to create protein rich, munchy granola bars that are perfect for a post workout snack.
Since I have been hard at work doing the Trim Healthy Mama Workins (they’re called “Workins” instead of “workouts” because you workout at home and, man, are they effective!), these simple, easy-to-make, low fat, sugar free, gluten free, and Carbalicious granola bars are perfect as post workout snacks.
The reason for creating this granola bars recipe with the specific ingredients used came from the desire to have an easy-to-grab, protein rich snack that was on the carb (Energizing or E if you’re following the Trim Healthy Mama eating plan) side. I also really wanted to include wolfberries (i.e. goji berries) in the mix because, for one, they taste great, and, for two, they are great antioxidant super fruit (they’re also a big part of the Young Living NingXia Red supplement drink I enjoy daily). If for any reason you don’t care for the wolfberries in this granola bars recipe, you can easily substitute them with raisins or a similar dried fruit–just make sure they don’t have added sugar!
- 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons oat fiber
- ¼ cup Pristine Whey Protein Powder
- ¼ cup collagen
- 1 tablespoon Super Sweet Blend, 2 tablespoons Gentle Sweet, or equivalent low glycemic sweetener
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup Nature's Hollow Sugar Free Maple Flavored Syrup
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon unsulphured blackstrap molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon orange extract or 2 drops Young Living Orange Vitality essential oil, optional
- 1 cup (4 ounces) wolfberries
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Line the bottom and sides of a 9 by 9 inch baking dish with parchment paper. Lightly spray the parchment with coconut oil cooking spray. Set dish aside.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (oats, oat fiber, protein powder, collagen, sweetener, and baking soda).
- Stir in the liquid ingredients (maple flavored syrup, egg whites, molasses, and vanilla) until well incorporated.
- Mix in the wolfberries until evenly distributed.
- Press the granola bar mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely. Remove from the dish by lifting the parchment paper. Cut in half one way then into thirds the other, producing 6 granola bars.